Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Knowledge: Public and Private

If what I know, you too can corroborate, and need not depend on you simply and blindly trusting what I say, then it is public knowledge.

If what I know, you cannot corroborate, and you have to, ultimately, take my word for it, then it is private knowledge.

Public knowledge can be shared, and is common to all mankind.

Private knowledge is just between you and God.

I will not believe anyone whose only argument is to believe and trust him - he could well be true, but I would not know that either - and neither would I just ask you just to trust and believe me when I proffer a truth.

You may say I am missing something if I do not merely believe in a truth, but so be it, for it was not given to me to know in the first place.

No comments: